Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Online is a self-directed program that uses case-based scenarios and interactive lessons to teach child care providers and others to respond to and manage illnesses and injuries in a child or infant in the first few minutes until professional help arrives.
Who Is It For?
Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Online is intended for those involved in childcare who have a duty to respond to illnesses and injuries in a child or infant in the first few minutes until professional help arrives. This audience includes child care workers, teachers, foster care workers, camp counselors, youth organizations, and coaches for children’s sports organizations. This course is also ideal for parents, grandparents, babysitters, and guardians. This course is also appropriate for educators, teachers and the general public.
Upon successful completion of the online portion a certificate of completion is available for students to print. This certificate must be presented for the hands-on skills practice and skills testing session with an AHA Instructor. Upon successful completion of both the online and hands-on portions, students receive an AHA Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course completion card, valid for two years
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
• List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of a rescuer providing first aid to a child or infant
• Describe the 4 key steps in first aid for children and infants: prevent, protect, assess, and act
• Remove protective gloves (skill student will demonstrate) • Find the problem (skill student will demonstrate)
• Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock
• Control bleeding and bandaging (skills student will demonstrate)
• Use an epinephrine pen (skill student will demonstrate)
• Recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
• Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
• Recognize the legal questions that apply to pediatric first aid rescuers
• Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
• Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
• Recognize when someone needs CPR
• Perform high-quality CPR for an adult*
• Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
• Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
• Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult*
• Perform high-quality CPR for a child
• Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child
• Perform high-quality CPR for an infant
• Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
• Demonstrate how to help a choking infant
• *Optional modules
Course Length: On-line portion takes approx. 2.5 hours and Skills Session takes about 45 minutes
Certification: 2 years from the American Heart Association (Results in same certification as a full classroom course)
To access course online go to: onlineAHA.org
Course Price: $25 for on-line portion and $60 for the Skills Session
Book: No book needed, online access to all the course information for a period of 2 years
Register: for this course on the web site and choose a skills session that works with your schedule and we will send you all the details and instructions.
Must bring Course Completion Certificate to Skills Session!
For more information or to request registration please contact us by email or phone: 845.224.6355